Saturday, September 2, 2006

More Bad Cyber Things; Good Art Things

Sorry about your crash, Chris. Your advice is smart. Back up and mo' backup. I've taken to writing my blog in a word document and then cutting and pasting it into Two Artists Talking. That way, if I get the dreaded popup, "Windows has experienced a problem and needs to shut down," my copy will live to see another post.

In the "More Bad Cyber Things" category, I'd add this: beware security systems. I'd used Norton with no problem until I installed the 2006 update. Then, almost immediately, the walls came crashing down. Actually, the opposite happened: the barricades went up beyond all logic, shutting me out of my own files! There's no sense repeating my story here, as a full account of my problem is on the R&F Paints website:
http://rfpaints.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=679#679 . I urge our readers to check it out.

With a security sytem like that, who needs viruses? And wouldn't you know: Norton billed me for the update, even after I removed it. Of course I didn't pay, and my credit card company backed me up.


In the "Good Art Things" category, I love the change of scale (albeit digitally manipulated) of one of your Bojagi paintings. This is a direction! I know you said, in your New Work post, "I'm liking the domestic, intimate, personal feel of what I'm doing- these are smaller issue paintings, intimate..." but seeing the work large gives it a huge presence.

Not that there's anything wrong with small. I also work small, and I like the scale. A strong small painting can hold the wall every bit as tenaciously as a big one. But punctuating small-scale works with a large scale one, or vice versa, is not only an exercise in expansion or restraint, it's an opportunity to put the work in perspective. However your work develops, it's interesting for me to see how you connect those intuitive dots.

No comments:

Post a Comment